Flood damage cleanup – Kittery, Maine
Water can be very damaging to properties everywhere – the residents of Kittery, Maine are no exception. Strong currents can erode structures and shift buildings. When torrential rains occur, they can cause severe damage to your residential or commercial property. Carpeting, furniture, appliances and the overall structure of a home or business can be affected by water. Strong storms can negatively impact ducts, utilities, roofing, heaters and A/Cs. Flooding can also destroy belongings. Just one inch of water can cause irreparable harm to precious items throughout the property. Lastly, flood waters can contain contaminants which is a threat to personal health. Everyone, including Kittery, Maine residents, needs to know how to deal with flood damage cleanup.
What to do after a flood
Floods can put a person in a difficult situation. No one is immune to dealing with this sort of setback. Wherever you live there is always a chance that you may find yourself in this predicament. Floods, melting ice (from winter storms) burst pipes and other plumbing issues all have the same effect. There are some things you can do.
- Ensure safety of building occupants
- Confirm source of water damage (ground water, burst pipe, roof leak, etc…)
- Call your insurance agent to submit a claim
- Document the damage and take photos or video
- Extract water and/or shovel out mud (if there’s any)
- Clean and disinfect surfaces
- Remove and discard ruined items such as mattresses, toys and stuffed animals
Cleaning up water damage at property
Not all objects are the same so they should be cleaned in different ways:
- Kitchen items such as those made of glass, porcelain, china, plastic, and silverware should be cleaned and sanitized. Even if they don’t seem to be affected, there is risk of cross contamination via airborne pollutants. Clean items as a precaution.
- Fabrics such as rugs, bedding and clothing should be air dried outdoors immediately in order to avoid mold. Wet, bunched up laundry will develop microbial growth. Launder and disinfect as soon as possible.
- Books, photos and important papers should be cleaned and dried slowly. Put them in bags and freeze them in a frost-free freezer until they can be cleaned by a professional.
Calling in the flood damage cleanup professionals
Acting quickly is vitally important when dealing with flood water damage. While there are some things you can do, it’s best to call a professional for proper flood damage cleanup. Soil-Away Cleaning and Restoration are the people to call. They are highly trained individuals with over 25 years of service to the New England area. They are IICRC master-certified and able to tackle the toughest problems.
In the event of a flood, Soil-Away uses powerful pumps to remove the water from your property. They employ the use of high-tech equipment to monitor the drying process to ensure your home is dried thoroughly. Soil-Away will even clean your belongings such as upholstery, clothing and anything else that could have been damaged. They can remove any odors left by the water and minimize the risk for mold growth. For flood damage cleanup at your Kittery, ME property call Soil-Away immediately at 1-800-293-6319, they are available 24/7.
Written by E. Aceves