Autumn is upon us. It seems like only yesterday the summer season was in full bloom; warm days, lazy summer nights, picnics, cookouts and fun in the park; the kids out for summer vacation. It was a glorious experience. But now it’s almost over, the kids are back in school and we seem to be mourning the end of summer right along with them. Don’t despair! Summer will be back before you know it. For now we need to prepare for fall. There are many things that are awaiting us in the fall season; cooler weather, colorful leaves and, of course the holidays; Halloween and Thanksgiving are right around the corner. As we look forward to the season, there are things we have to prepare for to keep us secure. Make sure to follow these safety tips for fall.
While the days are cooling off with the pending arrival of fall, many people will pack up their summer picnic basket and exchange it for fall cuisines and cooking at home. There’s something about a delicious home-cooked meal that gets your mouth watering. While many people take cooking safety for granted; it should be clear that most home fires start in the kitchen. Before turning on that burner, it’s important to know the top causes of kitchen fires.
Technology can be a wonderful thing; and something we can take for granted. We’ve advanced far beyond what our great-grandparents and even grandparents ever dreamed. We have telephones, televisions, personal computers, kitchen appliances (microwaves, toasters, slow-cookers, coffee pots, etc); and all this doesn’t even include the objects we use in the modern workplace. This would include business computers, tablets, smartphones, copiers, and office appliances. Many of these things we take for granted and tend to use without thinking of our safety. We don’t think about how the tangled up mess of cords can endanger us. In order to keep ourselves safe, we need to practice electrical cord safety.
An unattended frying pan erupted in flames; faulty wiring ravaged your house burning everything in its way; your chimney failed sending soot backflowing into your home. Any one of these scenarios could have been what caused such devastation. The bottom line is that your home was damaged by fire. Whether it was contained to one room or traveled to other areas; you still have a mess on your hands. The fire was extinguished, but your problems are far from over. You are now plagued with smoke and soot damage, debris, poor air quality, and even the possibility of structural damage. Your problems aren’t just about the destruction that fire causes; water and other substances used to extinguish the flames may continue to harm your property for quite a long time. It’s important to know the safety issues after a fire and how to deal with them.
Spring is finally here! Cold, frigid weather is now a thing of the past. Snow covered lawns and icy driveways give way to velvety grass and fragrant flowers. Families look forward to warmer weather, sunnier days; picnics in the park and backyard barbecues. But, just like any season, there are always hazards associated with the weather. Spring weather is highly unpredictable bringing with it both warm and frigid temperatures; sometimes within the same week. Thunderstorms are likely in spring, bringing with them the potential for lightning, heavy rains, and flooding. It is because of it unpredictability that we must start preparing for spring storms.
Natural disasters can happen at any time, at anyplace and to anyone. Mother Nature does not discriminate. Violent storms; hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, and floods can cause panic and leave you and your family completely devastated. You must prepare yourself. Floods, in particular, are very unpredictable as well as highly destructive. Floods are the most common natural disaster in the United States. They can happen at any time and even in regions that aren’t that used to rain. To survive, you must know the steps in preparing for a flood disaster
It’s been a long winter. The furnace has been running hard circulating warmth throughout your home for months. Recently, you feel dry and stuffed up and wonder why that may be the case. You suspect it has to do with your indoor air quality. Upon searching throughout the house for issues, you realize the air ducts need cleaning. They are full of dust and debris, so you consider hiring an air duct cleaning service.
You enter your workplace. Greeting your coworkers, you make your way to your workspace to clock in. The warm scent of freshly brewed coffee hits your nose as you enter the breakroom. Grabbing a cup from the cupboard you pick up the pot, anxious for the crisp flavor of your morning coffee. You head back to your desk, coffee in hand. Time rushes on and soon you will be heading home; another productive day at work. Only fifteen minutes to go. You head out toward the breakroom when suddenly; a strange scent catches your nose. Not the aroma of fresh brewed coffee. This time it’s the smoky odor of something burning. Entering the breakroom, you notice smoke emanating from the plug. It seems too many appliances were plugged into the same socket. You manage to put out the fire with an extinguisher. Disaster has been averted. Tomorrow you will hold a meeting to discuss protecting against fires in the workplace.
How nice it is to live in the modern era. Leaps and bounds from the horse-and-carriage days of our forefathers. Here we are with all the luxuries of modern-day appliances, motorized vehicles; all the inventions that make life so much simpler. But, then we’re hit by a power outage. Suddenly we have more in common with our great-grandparents than we ever thought possible. Unlike our predecessors, we’re not equipped for this type of life. We rely so heavily on electricity that we’re at a loss when it’s gone. While it’s not a common-day occurrence, it’s still something we have to deal with from time to time. And we must learn how to keep safe during a power outage.
During the holidays your home seems to have grown smaller. Between parties, gifts and decorations stuff just accumulates. It’s time to do some purging to make space. Out with the old – in with the new! However, sometimes it’s difficult to part with some of the old. Let’s face it, some old stuff could prove to be quite valuable or sentimental. Those items should probably be put away for safe keeping. But this could prove trickier than you first thought. Looking back on some of your old items that have been stored away for a while, you notice some have been overrun by mold and mildew. The question: how do you go about preventing mold growth on stored items?