After being exposed to heat, smoke, and the chemicals used by firefighters to put out the fire not everything should be salvaged. The items that you toss should include food, medicines, cosmetics and burned clothing.
You’ve found your first apartment; nice location, beautiful scenery, perfect amount of rooms. Not too large, but just right for you at the moment. You shut yourself in to enjoy the solitude, open your page-turner to the marked passage and, after a while you notice something you hadn’t before; the nasty, stale smell of cigarette smoke. Going over things in your mind, you realize when you viewed your new apartment, the doors and windows were open and the odor didn’t seem to gag in your throat as it does now. You feel annoyed, but glancing around your new apartment, you realize you don’t really want to leave. Cleaning cigarette smoke is no easy task but you’re prepared to make a go of it.
When your smoker friends invade your home with the offensive smell of cigarette smoke, it can clings to your drapes, carpets and furnishings like pits to a peach. After the socializing is over, the smell still remains. Smoke odor elimination can be done at a small level on your own. Here are a few things you can do to clean the air. Ventilate your home, weather permitting; open doors and windows. Leaving a bowl of white vinegar in each affected room can help, as can boiling orange or lemon peels.
Fires can leave a trail of devastation for homeowners, not only with the damage to the home itself but the family’s belongings. While insurance can go a long way to making the homeowner whole again, it can be difficult overcoming the emotional hurdles of losing those sentimental items. As an Auburn, NH family learned after a small fire in their home, it is well worth the effort for every homeowner to take some necessary precautions to prevent house fires.
According to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), in 2015, there were over 1.3 million fires reported in the United States with roughly $14 billion dollars in property damage. This devastating disaster can strike a home or business at any time, oftentimes without warning, leaving property owners feeling overwhelmed, panicked and uncertain of what the next steps are. Whether your home or business falls victim to a fire, soot or smoke damage, Soil-Away Restoration Services are here for you! Amherst, New Hampshire (NH) home and business owners have been trusting Soil-Away—a family owned and operated firm— for over 25 years with all their fire damage needs. Contact Soil-Away’s 24/7 emergency line today to get back what fire damage has taken from you.
The holidays are wrapping up, your in-laws have graciously left until the next family gathering, but not before giving you parental advice or cooking recipes that you will only use for them, and now it’s time to take down the holiday decorations. If you’re anything like me, the Christmas tree will be down before New Year’s Day and your fur-children will go back to chewing the kitchen table legs and area rugs. To ensure your holiday season is wrapped up nicer than the bow on the Christmas presents, your friends at Soil-Away have composed a few helpful tips on how to properly dispose of your real Christmas tree.
The holiday season is upon us once again, and it seems like just yesterday that we were barbecuing in the back yard for Memorial Day and watching fireworks on the 4th of July. Now, it’s time to pull out the artificial Christmas tree from underneath the stairs in the basement, and prepare for coming face-to-face with the in-laws once again, as they make comments on how dry the ham is or why your children are not in matching sweaters. However, while many people decorate their homes with artificial Christmas trees, over 30 million people will go out and purchase a real one.
The temperatures outside, while not quite freezing yet, are starting to drop dramatically and homeowners are switching on the heat to combat these temperatures. With the price of fuel today many also begin to seek alternative sources to supplement their home’s heating system during these winter months. These types of alternative heat sources may also come with serious fire risks that you should be aware of if not taking the proper precautions.