Fire damage is devastating. There are approximately 400,000 home fires in the United States every year (NFPA). We see many in Manchester, Concord, and Portsmouth every year. Many of these fires are preventable. We wrote this two part article to identify some of the leading causes of fire damage. The goal is to educate you on how to make your home a safer place and to prevent costly fire damage. We will provide you with 10 important tips. Five will be this month and the remaining five tips with be featured next month.
Archive for August, 2014
Salem, NH – Four members of the Soil-Away team just completed IICRC water damage restoration technician training courses. Soil-Away attendees consisted of restoration technicians and management staff. For the technicians, this was their first experience in a water restoration course. “The classes really helped supplement the in-house training that Soil-Away provides,” explained one technician. “This was a great chance to expand my technical understanding of what we deal with on a daily basis when it comes to cleaning up water damage.”
Storm damage cleanup needs were extensive. Portsmouth and the surrounding towns were pummeled with high winds and heavy rains. Near hurricane conditions wreaked havoc throughout the historic New Hampshire town. Insurance claims for property damage were being submitted in droves. Soil-Away Cleaning and Restoration was busy performing storm damage cleanup services throughout the Portsmouth area.
Dealing with mold damage within the family home can be a complex process. There are numerous potential hazards for which to be on the lookout. With the right level of research and common sense approach, homeowners across Manchester, Nashua and Concord, NH can ensure all mold remediation work is completed safety. Here, we take a look at three tips to protect yourself and your family as mold remediation work takes place:
They had not been in their Windham house for 24 hours and they already had a carpet cleaning emergency. The young married couple was moving into their new townhouse. It was everything they had hoped for when building it: three bedrooms, master bathroom, granite counters, and a man cave in the basement. It had wood floors one the first floor and high-end carpets in the basement and upstairs bedrooms and hallway. The movers had just arrived with their furniture and were starting to unload into the Windham home. Absentmindedly, the couple put their dog in the basement to be out of the way of the movers. Anxious about his new surroundings and the commotion upstairs, the dog decided to turn the brand new carpets into a personal commode. Hours later when retrieving the dog from the basement, the couple detected a strong odor and started to notice numerous spots on the brand new carpet.
A warehouse crew was wrapping up their shift at a 90,000 square-foot, Manchester facility. The crew chief was making his final rounds when he picked up on a haze moving throughout the building. This was followed by the distinct smell of smoke. Quickly, he picked up his pace towards the back of the building. Before he could find the source of the smoke, the fire alarm sounded. Something was terribly wrong. Shortly after evacuating the building a dumpster fire was discovered outside. The dumpster shoot connected to the warehouse was channeling smoke and soot into the building. Extensive fire damage restoration was needed for this Manchester warehouse.