Is Your Home or Business Fall Ready?
Apple cider donuts, orange and red-hued leaves and chilly nights are the many tell-tale signs that fall is here in the Granite State. Aside from enjoying all of the amenities and fall scenery that unfolds before us every year in New Hampshire (NH), many business and home owners are checking tasks off their fall “to-do” lists, which may include inspecting gutters, draining hoses and checking caulk around doors and windows. While evaluating your home’s gutters for debris and other questionable matter can seem like a daunting and undesirable task compared to apple picking and hiking, these fall tasks may save you time and money by catching any issues before they strike unexpectedly in the future.
Damage Prevention Tips
Prepping the Indoors
Fall is a great time of year here in NH, and the cooler weather signifies the start of football season, kids being back in school and pumpkin flavored…everything. Although the fall brings forth picturesque scenery and seasonal favorites, it also gives way to fall cleanup and tasks to ensure your home or business is “fall ready.” A few tasks to perform during the fall months that can save you time and money in the future are:
- Clean and perform routine maintenance on appliances such as the refrigerator, dish washer and stove.
- Clean dryer vent and exhaust hose to help prevent an unexpected fire.
- Check caulk around all windows and doors to ensure moisture control.
- Change batteries in all smoke detectors.
- Perform routine maintenance on water heaters and drain any collected debris.
- Ensure fireplace and woodstove are cleaned and free of debris.
- Cover pipes in uninsulated areas, such as garages and attics, with insulated sleeves.
- Check garbage disposal for any clogs or debris build-up, which can lead to water damage and costly repairs.
- Check caulking around faucets and shower stalls to help prevent mold and mildew growth.
- Perform routine maintenance and cleaning on your furnace.
Prepping the Outdoors
Once the inside of your home or business is ready for the chilly fall weather, a few tasks to ensure the outside of the structure is also prepared are:
- Drain and properly store all water hoses and sprinkler system.
- Check all gutters and downspouts for debris build-up, cracks or breaks.
- Clean chimney, if applicable, to ensure it is free of debris.
- Check the caulk around all external doors and windows.
- Drain the pool, if applicable.
- Examine the structure’s roof for broken or damaged shingles, as well as cracks that can cause moisture to seep into the interior.
Soil-Away Cleaning and Restoration Services
Enduring a water, mold or fire disaster can happen at any time for NH home and business owners, and while we understand that no one ever wants to experience a frustrating situation, we want you to know that the experts at Soil-Away are here to make things less stressful. Soil-Away is a family-owned and operated business that is IICRC master-certified and has over 25 years of experience. We work closely with insurance companies during the restoration process to ensure a smooth, less-stressful process, so you can get back to the things that matter most. Contact the property damage recovery experts today at 603-641-6555.
Written by: K. Gnatowski
Contact Us Now