Flood Damage Mitigation – Kennebunkport, ME
Floods are the number one natural disaster in the U.S. They are highly unpredictable and can occur anywhere, any time – even in Kennebunkport ME. Wherever it rains, it can flood. If this occurs, you will need a flood damage mitigation firm on your side to restore your property.
You may think that if you’re not in a high-risk area that you have nothing to worry about. Actually, about 25% of all insurance claims are filed in areas that are at low to moderate risk for flooding. While you can never be sure you’re safe from floods, there are some things you can do to protect yourself. It’s never too late to start planning.
Protect and prepare before a flood
As you know, floods can occur at any time. Protect yourself. Here are a few things you can do:
- First and foremost, you need to get flood insurance. The National Flood Insurance Program has applications on their website.
- If you’re new in town and don’t know if it’s a high-risk area; check with the county planning department. You can also check government websites for flood maps.
- Think ahead- plan evacuation
routes with your family.
emergency contact numbers handy.
- Family and friends
- Local municipal services (fire, police, medical, utilities, etc…)
- Contractors (roofers, flood damage mitigation company, plumber, etc…)
- If you have pets, make sure they have carriers. Also, pack their food, water, medications and any item that makes them feel comfortable like toys or blankets.
- Pack enough food and water for three days.
- Make sure to pack flashlights, blankets and tools such as
- Have emergency contact numbers handy.
- Can openers
- And, of course a battery-operated radio to stay informed.
If you live in a high-risk area you can also:
- Elevate your furnace and water heater
- Install check valves to prevent waters from backing into drains
- Implement sandbags to prevent water from coming into your home
Other important items
Before evacuating there are a few things you must do. Put aside important documents such as, insurance policies, and pictures of your home and possessions. Keep them in waterproof containers or in a safety deposit box. You’ll need them. Check with the local utility company about turning off your power (electricity, gas and water). Move electronics and valuable furniture to higher ground such as the floor above or in an attic.
When flood damage mitigation services are needed
Once the storm is over and you return home, you have a long road ahead of you. You need emergency flood damage mitigation services to restore your property. Water is destructive; it can cause great harm to the structure of your home. If your home has sustained damage from a flood, you need to call a professional. You need to call Soil-Away Cleaning and Restoration.
Soil-Away’s flood damage mitigation team is comprised of highly trained professionals with over 25 years of experience who know best how to dry out your home and possessions. Not only will they repair any obvious damage, they will use their high-tech equipment to inspect for hidden pockets of moisture that can lead to microbial growth down the road. Mold can spread and become a real headache to homeowners. This team of experts can repair flood damage and get you back up on your feet. Call them 24/7 at 1-800-293-6319.
Written by E. Aceves