Skip to main content

24 Hour Emergency Services

(603) 641-6555

When Should I Call My Insurance Company After a Flood?

Written by jsolloway on . Posted in , .

Many homeowners find it hard to think clearly when a flood has affected their property. Anxiety rises and the questions start mounting: Who do I call to clean up the water damage? Will insurance cover the damage? What should I do first? Where water damage is concerned time is truly of the essence.  You should act fast but must do so wisely. Ensure safety for family members and pets. There are many potential hazards such as slip-and-fall, electrocution, and contamination to name a few. After personal safety, address the water source. Stop it to prevent additional damages. The next two calls are to a water damage restoration professional to start the cleanup and to your insurance company to discuss a claim.

In the Event of a Flood, Stopping the Water Must Be Top Priority

We frequently hear stories about how you must call your insurance company immediately when your home and property are damaged.  In some cases, this is true but when your home has experienced a flood and water damage your primary focus must be on safety and stopping the flow of water into the home. In a scenario where you are dealing with a burst pipe, overflowing toilet or some other disaster, you can shut off the water to the home to prevent any more damage.  As the water rises, more and more of the area will become susceptible to water damage.

For a flood that is the result of a storm or a natural disaster, try to locate the source from where the water is entering the home.  You can then use sandbags, concrete blocks or even old rags and towels to block the water and prevent any more from entering.

Report the Flood to Your Insurance Company

Once the imminent danger and water flow have been stopped, you can now call your insurance company.  It is helpful, though not necessary, to have your policy number and information handy.  An agent will help you to begin the process of filing a claim.  This may mean a visit from an insurance representative and / or taking photographs of the water and the damaged area.

After you are given the okay from the insurance company, the real clean-up can begin.  This will involve not only removing the standing water and excess moisture, but also addressing any damage to the building.

A professional restoration team like Soil-Away can help to identify the extent of the damage and take the necessary steps to restore your property.  Contact the Soil-Away team at 603-641-6555.

Contact Us Now

Search for:

Jay KorsenJay Korsen
00:51 04 Aug 22
All I have to say is WOW and FANTASTIC. I just got done building out my new professional office with Soil-Away’s construction division and they went ABOVE and BEYOND. Scott and Mike, the carpenters are skilled artisans. The project got done on time and the project came in on budget! The finished results have been blowing people away. Much better than I could have anticipated. Anyone is welcome to come to our office, Bright Light Chiropractic in Hooksett to check out the fine work they did. Simply can’t sing enough praises for them. Sorry that the picture doesn’t do the job justice. Thank you Jack and your team. -Dr. Jay
Asian BreezeAsian Breeze
04:28 15 Jul 22
Since day one, I’ve known the owner, Jack, to be a hard-working and selfless leader. Through the efforts of him and his team, he was able to restore my flooded restaurant to tip-top shape. I was amazed with Jack’s orderliness throughout the entire process. Jack has proven to me that he is trustworthy, as both a friend and an individual in the work environment.
Breton LangendorferBreton Langendorfer
21:17 07 Jul 22
Highly recommend Soil-Away. A pipe in our upstairs bathroom gave and sent water down through a wall for at least a day before we noticed water dripping through our kitchen ceiling. Our insurance put us in touch with Soil-Away and they were at our house the next morning to assess the damage and dry things out. Joe, Ray and Tom were phenomenal to work with. They explained every part of the process to us and were very professional and friendly. If you have to deal with similar issues call Soil-Away, you won’t regret it.
Maureen CidzikMaureen Cidzik
13:49 15 May 22
Superior service from start to finish. Highly responsive. The entire team is dedicated to quality and customer care and it shows in everything they do – from first call, to estimate, to job completion.
Sarah GrugnaleSarah Grugnale
16:02 14 Jan 22
Joe and Tommy were amazing to deal with, they kept us updated every step of the process. They were punctual and hard working, answering all of our questions that we had. Everything was done as promised and even above and beyond. A great experience from start to finish.