Turkey on Fire – 8 Fire Safety Tips for Thanksgiving
Did you know that the threat of a cooking fire triples on Thanksgiving Day? This is according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. In recent years, the average daily number of cooking fires escalates from 400 to 1,300 incidents during turkey time! So what can you do to keep you and your loved ones safe during this holiday season? Below are the top 8 tips for fire safety and prevention.
- Inspect all the smoke alarms in your home. Test their functionality. Replace the batteries annually.
- Purchase a fire extinguisher for your kitchen. Learn how to properly operate it in the event of an emergency.
- Download the First Aid app. The American Red Cross has a great app that provides essential information needed to handle common first aid situations.
- Keep a clean work space. Avoid grease build up on areas such as stove tops. Clear the cooking area from loose items such as oven mitts that can catch fire.
- Stand by your Pan. It is an expression that has been used in fire safety circle for a long time. Monitor cooking items frequently. Use a timer to remind you to check.
- Establish a “kid free zone.” Young ones may be tempted to grab hot pots or pans. They may also leave toys on the floor that may serve as a tripping hazard.
- Smother, don’t splash. If a grease fire occurs, DO NOT splash it with water. Smother the fire with another pot or lid.
- Fry smart. If frying the bird, only do it outside and keep a large distance between your home and the fryer. Don’t overfill the oil or leave it unattended.
The entire team at Soil-Away wishes you and your loved ones a Happy Thanksgiving. May you be safe and joyful during the holiday season.
Soil-Away Cleaning & Restoration Services is New Hampshire’s premier service provider for fire, smoke, water and mold damage cleanup and restoration. Soil-Away is available 24/7 for property damage cleanup emergencies. Soil-Away can be reached at 603-641-6555.
Contact Us Now