Winter is approaching in Kittery, ME! You’ve been slogging through your fall cleanup list! You head to the basement where you store seasonal items. As the basement door opens a sour, musty smell strikes you. What is the source of the odor? You notice dark, slimy stains on the lower wall. Searching your mind for a cause, you remember an exceptionally rainy day sometime back. Mold grows in moist areas. Heavy rainfall and a foundation leak could definitely be the cause. It can affect any area –Kittery, Maine residents, be warned! If you come across mold in your home you need to find a mold cleanup contractor – fast.
Mold is a destructive fungus that thrives in humid areas. Your trusted mold cleanup contractor will show you that it can be found in attics, basements, crawlspaces and any area that has been exposed to moisture. Its job is to decompose things. It can certainly destroy clothing, furniture and paper (to name a few) and can even cause structural damage to buildings. Not only can it be damaging to your home (or business) it can be a health hazard. While small amounts of mold will not usually be dangerous, people who are allergic to mold can be affected. Common symptoms are congestion, watery eyes and cough. People with weak immune systems, those with respiratory problems and acute allergies can be affected more severely. Some symptoms include headaches, respiratory problems, fatigue, and bleeding in the lungs and nose.
Mold is a microbial fungus that is literally everywhere. Outdoor molds are very common and fluctuate in volume, or spore count, based on the season and environment. Mold can be carried indoors in various ways:
They are airborne but can attach themselves to walls, floors, and furniture as well as paper, clothing etc. They flourish in humid areas and can spread rapidly. Mold can begin to grow and spread within 48 hours.
Once you find that your home or business has mold, it is imperative that you contact a trusted mold cleanup contractor to deal with the problem. Dealing with mold is a tricky situation and trying to remove it yourself may not be a good idea. In trying to remove it, you may actually be spreading it. It is imperative to not only remove mold completely, but also find where it started so it won’t return. For this you will need the help of a professional. Soil-Away Cleaning and Restoration has a team of highly-skilled IICRC certified professionals who use moisture meters to detect moisture. They can find where the mold started, what caused it, and remove it promptly and completely. With the use of high-tech equipment, like dry ice blasters and HEPA vacuums, they can remove dangerous mold from the building. If you are dealing with mold issues at your Kittery, ME property? Call Soil-Away 24/7 at 1-800-293-6319.
Written by E. Aceves