What are Puff Backs?
Puff backs occur when an oil burner takes a long time to ignite due to the fumes building up in your furnace. The fume build-up causes an explosion within the burner chamber, leading soot to disperse throughout your home, covering walls, furniture, and anything around.
Puff backs are no small matter and can require extensive clean-up and restoration. Follow along as the Soil-Away restoration experts go over the leading causes of puff backs and how you can prevent them.
What Causes Puff Packs
- Leaks in your equipment: Leaks allow oil to leak out and air to enter inside. When air bubbles get into your heating system, it causes the pressure to drop. The air pressure then pushes the unburned oil to leak out of the system, causing combustion and a puff back.
- The shutdown valve is not working properly
- Dirty, clogged, or faulty oil burner nozzle
- Poor maintenance: If you are not taking proper care of your oil burner, your chances of experiencing puff backs increase dramatically. It is imperative that you know how to maintain your oil burner properly.
Puff Back Prevention
Puff backs can cause severe damage to your home, your belongings, and your family. It is crucial that you have the knowledge to prevent puff backs from happening in your home.
- Service your appliances: Be sure to have professionals come out to service, inspect, and clean your oil-burning appliances at least once a year.
- Be aware: Always be sure to be mindful of any odors, noises, or soot coming from your boiler/ furnace room.
- Keep an eye for leaks: Keep a constant eye out for leaks near your pipes and burner.
- Look for soot: Any sight of soot, debris, or rust in the vent connector signifies that your system must be cleaned.
Puff Back Clean Up
Puff backs require intense, professional cleaning. You do not want to attempt to clean soot damage in your home by yourself. The soot itself is greasy, carcinogenic, and toxic; it is not an easy clean. It affects your entire home and gets into every crevice possible. You will need to hire restoration professionals.
If you have experienced a puff back in your home, give the fire and soot restoration team at Soil-Away a call immediately at (603) 641-6555. For more information regarding oil burner puff backs, contact us today.