Grilling Fires and Safety Tips
Memorial Day and the summer season are fast approaching. That means it’s time to enjoy the warm weather and start grilling! Before dusting off your grill, it would be wise to revisit some basic safety tips. Home fires and injuries from grilling peak in June and July. This is according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). They also explain that the United States averages nearly 8,600 home fires every year from grilling. Avoid dangerous fire damage when grilling by following the helpful safety tips below.
General Grilling Tips to Avoid a Home Fire
- Grill in a safe place away from the home, deck railings, tree branches, garage, overhangs, etc… A 10 foot gap is a good rule of thumb.
- Never leave grill unattended
- Do not move your grill once it is in operation
- Keep a fire extinguisher close by
- Keep kids and animals away from the grill
- Avoid overloading the grill, especially with fatty meats which drip and cause flare-ups
- Keep your grill clean. Avoid grease and fat build up which can lead to flare-ups
- After use, do not store or cover your grill until it has fully cooled down
Gas Grill Safety Tips
- Ensure connections points are secure and tightened
- Inspect tank and hose for potential leaks. This can be done by applying a soap and water mixture to the hose. Any escaping gas will create bubbles at the leaking point.
- If you smell gas while cooking turn off the gas tank and burners. Get it professionally serviced to fix leaks.
- Do not turn on the gas when the lid is closed. Gas may build up inside prior to ignition causing the lid to blow off when turned on.
- Remember to close the valve on the gas tank after cooking
Charcoal Grill Safety Tips
- Use the proper starter fluid designed for charcoal grilling
- Inspect the grill for rust damage or holes. This is to avoid charcoals falling out the bottom during grilling.
- Avoid adding starter fluid after coals have been ignited
- Keep flammable object away from grill. Charcoals can remain very hot even after flame has been extinguished.
Soil-Away Cleaning & Restoration specializes in fire, smoke and flood damage cleanup for south/central New Hampshire (NH) and northern Massachusetts (MA). We are a 24/7 emergency service company that helps families and businesses recover from property disaster. We work will all national and local insurance companies for damage claims. Contact the fire and water restoration experts at Soil-Away today for fast, professional service -603-641-6555.
Contact Us Now