Colder weather is here, and temperatures will continue to drop. People are grabbing their space heaters out of storage to keep warm. These small heaters are perfect for heating small rooms and spaces quickly and efficiently. Though space heaters are great for keeping you warm and toasty when the weather outside is frightful, they can be very hazardous when you are not aware of how to use them properly. In fact, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission says space heaters lead to 25,000 fires a year in homes and businesses.
The fire and smoke remediation team at Soil-Away is here to give you a complete space heater safety guide so you can stay warm and safe throughout the cold winter months.
Though this excitement of turning on your space heater to get cozy and warm in your room is overwhelming, it is crucial to ensure that you read through the manufacturer’s instructions carefully and thoroughly before use.
Space heater placement in your home is very important to ensure that you avoid any potential hazards. Be sure to have about a three-foot distance away from the heater and anything else, including furniture, rugs, your bed, etcetera. Because they are a fire hazard and because space heaters heat up so quickly, they can cause fire quite quickly and easily.
The only surface you should be putting your space heater on is the floor. It is also essential to make sure that the floor is completely level.
You should only ever plug space heaters and any heater in general directly into wall outlets only. Because they use quite a bit of electricity, plugging them into an extension cord or anything else drastically increases the risk of electric shock and overheating.
You should always make sure to take care of your space heater properly. After each use, once you allow the heater to cool completely, wipe down the exterior with a clean cloth to remove any dust, hair, or allergens before you use it again.
Space heaters are not to be used to heat your home while you are away; it is way too much of a risk. Space heaters should only be used while you are in the room and are able to keep an eye on them. Once you are ready to turn it off, make sure to shut it off entirely and unplug it from the outlet.