How to Restore Your Business After a Hurricane
When living in a hurricane prone area, you must always be prepared. If you own a business you need to be doubly prepared. Many businesses, especially small businesses, might not recover after a disaster. According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) 40% of small businesses never reopen after a natural disaster. While this seems like a large number, you can take stock in the fact that it is not the majority; 60% of small businesses do recover. It is crucial to prepare ahead for a disaster, especially if you’re in the path of a hurricane.
Make sure your business is equipped with an adequate insurance policy; back up your businesses data on Cloud or on hard drives that you’ve stored in a secure location. Be informed, if there’s a storm coming, make sure you get copies of important documents; board up your business and put sand bags around your establishment to block water penetration. While it’s always good to be prepared, it’s not always possible; hurricanes, like many natural disasters, are unpredictable and you must be prepared to restore your business after a hurricane.
Steps to take to start the storm damage recovery
The storm has hit and, after making sure everyone’s okay, there’s the task of recovery. Here are a few things to do to get your company back on its feet:
- Contact your insurance company and file a claim. The sooner you do this the sooner you can get back on your feet
- Next, take detailed notes of the damage along with photographs or videos
- This might be a good time to get a hold of your creditors and let them know about your situation.
- If your business has been hard-hit, you may need to look for a temporary place of business, at least until your company is up and running again. You might look into a portable modular building. Many of them offer power, water and restrooms.
- Clean up – be safe! Contact the proper agencies to shut off the power. Wear proper safety gear; goggles, hard hats, construction gloves and closed-toe shoes.
Contacting a disaster restoration professional
After a natural disaster you’ll need help to recover. This is when a qualified restoration company comes in. Storm damage restoration is a major step. You will need a professional who knows the ins and outs of restoring establishments to their full glory. Hurricanes bring with them a lot of damage. Water damage is certainly an issue. Pipes may be in need of repair. Your place of business could have sustained structural damage from the storm.
You need to find a professional who is not only trained to find these problems but is also able to resolve them. Soil-Away Cleaning and Restoration is the perfect choice. They are a highly qualified and IICRC certified company. They have the equipment and the know-how to remove all standing water – and they will deal with any mold problems that could plague your business in the future. They are available 24/7. Call them at (603) 641-6555.
Written by E. Aceves
Contact Us Now