24 Hour Emergency Services

(603) 641-6555

  • Home
  • Does my Homeowner’s Insurance Cover Water Damage?

Does my Homeowner’s Insurance Cover Water Damage?

Written by Casey Shearns on . Posted in .

A question many first-time homeowners ask, “Does my policy cover water damage?”  This can be a tricky question to answer. Coverage for water damage typically depends on what the source of the loss is. Please note: At Soil-Away, we are not a licensed insurance representative so it’s always best to check with your insurance agent to review your specific policy. 

There are different types of potential water damage situations. Since we work with so many homeowners that have experienced many types of damage, we wanted to write a blog on the topic to help customers better understand. Continue reading to learn more.

What Types of Water Damage Cleanup are Covered?

Ask your insurance agent. Some basics to understand about your policy revolve around Dwelling Coverage and Personal Property Coverage

Dwelling Coverage

Dwelling Coverage is coverage that protects the physical structure of your home. An instance where your Dwelling coverage might cover water damage would be if a pipe burst within the wall and damages said wall and floor below. However, review your dwelling coverage policy with your insurance provider to understand specific examples of damage covered by your policy.

Personal Property Coverage

In addition to your home’s structure, is your contents/belongings. If there is water damage that ruins electronics, furniture, or any other type of personal property, this is where you could possibly be covered depending on your policy. It’s always best to review your Personal Property Coverage policy with your insurance provider to exactly what damage is covered by your policy.

Homeowner Insurance Water Damage from Plumbing

This can be a gray area in terms of coverage. Again, be sure to review your policy with an insurance professional, but generally speaking, water damage resulting from failed plumbing equipment can be covered. The most common water damage situations from plumbing in New Hampshire are frozen pipes, hot-water tank failures, toilet supply line leaks and washing machine hose bursts. 

Other Types of Water Damage That Might be Covered

Remember, this list is for standard homeowner insurance policies. Be sure to confirm with your insurance provider on your particular policy. 

  • Water damage from Extinguishing a Fire. 
  • Burst Pipe
  • Vandalism 
  • Appliance Failure 

Types of Residential Water Damage Not Typically Covered 

In terms of insurance policies, there are a variety of water damage types:

  • Ground Water Flood Damage
  • Water backup from an Outside Sewer or Drain
  • Replacing/Repairing Source of Water Damage

Standard homeowner insurance policies generally do not cover the types of water damage above. We bring up these points so you can ask better questions to your insurance agent. Make sure to purchase the right policy and understand its limitations. In many cases, these are additional add-on coverages that a homeowner can opt-in to. Before you purchase any home, you should understand your equipment and if it would need to be replaced, as well as the risk of flood for your new home. Adding these types of coverages to your policies may be worth talking to your insurance agent if it is the right fit for your particular situation.

Soil-Away Specializes in Insurance Claims Documentation

If you have sustained water damage in your home, Soil-Away is here for you. We specialized in insurance claim documentation to make a smoother claim process and disaster recovery for you. Here are some of the features of the process:

  • We work with your insurance company.
  • We take all necessary photos required by the insurance company.
  • Moisture mapping – we draw out a map where water has gone and traveled to in the building and clearly map it out. We then check to see how it is drying to ensure it is drying properly.
  • Moisture reports. 
  • We can work with an adjuster, get scopes and preapprovals along the way.

Soil-Away: New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Maine’s Leading Water Damage Experts

If your home has experienced water damage, contact the professionals at Soil-Away today! After reading this article, if you have questions regarding your insurance policy, please be sure to give your insurance provider a call and review your existing policy. If you have questions regarding Soil-Away’s services or capabilities as it pertains to fixing and remediating water damage in your home, we are happy to review on a call. Contact us today!

Contact Us Now

Search for:

Indoor Air Quaility

© 2020 · Soil-Away Cleaning and Restoration · Log out