Have you ever woken-up on a chilly winter morning and discovered the pipes in your house were frozen? You turn the knobs on the bathroom sink in frustration, hoping that water will eventually trickle out, but nothing happens. This situation is one that I experienced numerous times as a child, as the pipes in the attic would frequently freeze. While frozen pipes are something many home or business owners never want to experience, it does happen quite often here in New Hampshire (NH), as temperatures often plunge below the freezing mark and cause the water in pipes to freeze. Locations that are most prevalent to frozen pipes are attics, garages and basements, as these areas are often not heated.
Having frozen pipes is something that no home or business owner wants to experience, as it can lead to unsightly water damage, costly repairs and even mold growth. Although the warmth of spring is just around the corner, there is still plenty of time for Old Man Winter to throw some snow, ice and frigid temperatures our way. After all, this is New England, right? So, before you decide to pack away your thermal socks and insulated gloves, it is important to remember that your home or business can still be impacted by February’s frosty temperatures-especially waterlines and pipes.
Many New Hampshire residents are staying warm this winter season by loading up their fireplace with the wood they’ve spent all season cutting, and hoping it lasts long enough to burn away the winter blues. While having a fireplace is a great way to keep your home warm during the winter season, do you know what items are safe to burn? Or better yet, what items you shouldn’t burn in your fireplace? This may seem like a very simple question for some, but for others, throwing some of the wood you’ve cut down from the woods is sufficient enough. Unfortunately, there are many types of wood that are not recommended to be burned in a fireplace, as well as other everyday items such as plastic and newspapers, as these items may cause a chimney fire or result in toxic fumes. So, before you toss the sports section of the newspaper portraying a loss for your favorite team or family photo of everyone wearing matching holiday sweaters into the fireplace, review the below guidelines on what is and isn’t recommended for you to burn.
The holidays are wrapping up, your in-laws have graciously left until the next family gathering, but not before giving you parental advice or cooking recipes that you will only use for them, and now it’s time to take down the holiday decorations. If you’re anything like me, the Christmas tree will be down before New Year’s Day and your fur-children will go back to chewing the kitchen table legs and area rugs. To ensure your holiday season is wrapped up nicer than the bow on the Christmas presents, your friends at Soil-Away have composed a few helpful tips on how to properly dispose of your real Christmas tree.
The holiday season is upon us once again, and it seems like just yesterday that we were barbecuing in the back yard for Memorial Day and watching fireworks on the 4th of July. Now, it’s time to pull out the artificial Christmas tree from underneath the stairs in the basement, and prepare for coming face-to-face with the in-laws once again, as they make comments on how dry the ham is or why your children are not in matching sweaters. However, while many people decorate their homes with artificial Christmas trees, over 30 million people will go out and purchase a real one.
The holiday season has crept upon us once again, and it’s now that time of year when holiday decorations liter every department store before Halloween, and Christmas cards flood our mailboxes from family members we so gratefully see but once a year. If you’re anything like me, preparing for the holiday season consists of digging out the artificial, pre-lit Christmas tree from the basement cobwebs, with an array of half-broken ornaments that you hope the cat doesn’t think are his again. However, while many people decorate their homes with an artificial Christmas tree for the holiday season, roughly 30 million people will purchase a real one.
The winter months here in New England bring more than just frigid temperatures and heating bills; it is also a time filled with travelling, cooking holiday meals and spending time with in-laws that may make you cringe when they aren’t looking. Since the winter months are often a busy time of year, home repairs and routine maintenance are often placed on the backburner, such as garbage disposal upkeep.
For many homeowners just the words “Hurricane Season” can send them into a panic, and understandably so. In recent years we have seen, and many have experienced, the damage that a hurricane or powerful storm can do to a home. However, there are some steps you can take to protect your home during this tumultuous season.
Summer is home renovation season. Many homeowners choose to complete projects such as remodeling their kitchen or adding a sun room. These projects increase home value, but can also increase stress. One stress that you need to address with you contractor is that of dust management on their projects. It is inevitable that remodeling generates significant construction dust. This dust can result in physical discomfort or even health issues. Do not allow your contractor to neglect the importance of dust control and cleanup during renovations.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) states that clothes dryers account for over 15,000 fires annually. Fires can materialize when lint accumulates in the dryer or in the exhaust duct. Dryer lint can hinder the flow of air causing extreme heat conditions resulting in a fire.
According to data compiled by the U.S. Fire Administration, lack of maintenance is the main contributing factor to dryer fires, Dryer vents congested by lint may cause elevated temperatures sufficient to kindle the lint or nearby combustibles. By practicing these simple safety tips the possibility of having a dryer fire caused can be largely decreased.
Memorial Day and the summer season are fast approaching. That means it’s time to enjoy the warm weather and start grilling! Before dusting off your grill, it would be wise to revisit some basic safety tips. Home fires and injuries from grilling peak in June and July. This is according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). They also explain that the United States averages nearly 8,600 home fires every year from grilling. Avoid dangerous fire damage when grilling by following the helpful safety tips below.
The majority of household flooding and water damage is directly related to failed plumbing and broken appliances. Something as simple as a water supply line on a refrigerator can cause tens-of-thousands of dollars of damage to a kitchen. So what can you do to avoid flooding and water damage from broken appliances? Below we list five ways to help prevent and minimize damages at your home.